Bonita Springs, FL
239 498 9394
Company also has offices in California, Connecticut, Georgia, Missouri and Ohio.
Roger has extensive experience as a senior lawyer and manager in major corporations, a partner in major law firms, and Presidential appointee in the federal government. This experience included frequent use of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) for clients and employers and performance as an ADR neutral.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION (ADR)
EXAMPLES OF ADR EXPERIENCE
- In environmental arena, served as neutral in cleanup liability allocation dispute between two major companies. Served on Board of an ADR organization for environmental-cleanup, Clean Sites, Inc. Wrote procedure for ADR in multiparty environmental cleanup disputes for Center for Public Resources (CPR). Served on CPR environmental neutrals panel.
- Initiated use of, and participated actively in, ADR which successfully resolved major insurance coverage liability disputes.
- Devised expedited dispute resolution procedure for major auto manufacturer and numerous claimants who experienced vehicle rollovers.
- Served as mediator for 18 years on a college board of trustees of which he was a member.
- Mediated public employee complaint of religious discrimination by his agency.
AREAS OF PARTICULAR EXPERTISE FOR ADR
- Environmental regulation and management
- Insurance coverage and liability
- Management and law in engineering and construction, in automotive and several other manufacturing industries (e.g., chemicals and plastics, electronics, appliances, power systems), and in financial and broadcasting industries.
- Bankruptcy reorganization
- Electric utilities (a major focus in law practice)
- General litigation, tort litigation, appellate litigation regarding administrative law
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Certificate of Successful Completion of “STAR: A Systematic Approach to Mediation Strategies,” 2010 (Pepperdine has ranked #1 for ADR education for the past five years)
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Neutral
- Principal, Strassner Strelow & Smith LLC, dispute resolution firm (2010 —)
Federal-Mogul Corp., global automotive parts supplier, Southfield, MI (1998 — 2009)
- Associate General Counsel for litigation, environment, insurance, reorganization (2007 — 2009)
- Associate General Counsel for environment & safety (1998 — 2007)
Dames & Moore, engineering, San Francisco, CA (1997 — 1998)
- Managing Principal
Beveridge & Diamond, San Francisco (1995 — 1996)
Bechtel Corp., global engineering and construction, San Francisco (1990— 1994)
- Executive Vice President of Bechtel Environmental, Inc. subsidiary and Vice President of Bechtel Corp.
General Electric Co., Fairfield, CT (1984 — 1990)
- Vice President, Corporate Environmental Programs
Private Law Practice
Swidler, Berlin & Strelow, Washington, DC (1982 — 1984)
Leva, Hawes, Symington, Martin & Oppenheimer, Washington DC (1977 — 1982)
Clients included major electric/gas utility, paper, automotive, chemical and high-tech companies as well as Business Roundtable and Glass Packaging Institute.
US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC (1973 — 1977)
- Assistant Administrator for Air, Water and Waste Management (Presidential appointment)
US Council on Environmental Quality, Washington DC (1971 — 1973)
- Staff Director
US Department of Health, Education & Welfare, Washington DC (1969 — 1971)
- Assistant to the Secretary
Supreme Court of California, San Francisco (1968 — 1969)
- Law Clerk to Associate Justice Raymond Peters
BAR ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Member, California Bar
Member of District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
PAST BOARD AND OTHER AFFILIATIONS
Vice Chairman, Suppliers Partnership for the Environment (auto industry)
Board Member, Environmental Law Institute
Board Member, Clean Sites, Inc.
Board Member, Principia College
Board Member, Nature Conservancy of Maryland
Chairman, Advisory Committee on Environment and Safety, to President of University of California for the three US National Laboratories managed by the University
JD, School of Law, University of California at Berkeley, 1968
BA, Economics and Business, Principia College, Elsah, IL, 1964
Certificate for “STAR” Mediation Training at Straus Institute, Law School of Pepperdine University (award-winning for ADR education), 2010